Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Goats

My parents recently started raising goats. While I was growing up, we had chickens, sheep, cows, horses, and probably other random animals I can't currently remember. But I never recall having a goat...

Anyway, the goats heavily influenced our recent trip to Monroe. On the 4 hour drive from the Las Vegas airport to my parent's house, my dad sat in the backseat, squished between the carseats, and entertained my kids with his book about goats. I believe it was a book about caring for goats, so it had lots of pictures of goats with problems, and also pictures of how to take care of those problems. I would have never guessed my kids would look at that for hours! Naomi kept asking to see the pictures of the goat crying and of the goat with the hurt leg.

Around Christmas-time, we read a lot of books about reindeer pulling sleighs. Naomi said, "I bet Grandpa's goat can pull a sleigh!". And then she proceeded to ask him about it every single time she talked to him during December and January. So when we were in Monroe, Dad rigged a pony harness to fit one of the goats and hitched it up to the toboggan.


Needless to say, Naomi was thrilled. And didn't want to stop, when it was time to stop. We put the goat back in its pen after awhile, so as to not overtax it. I took a turn pulling the sled, then. Naomi, suspiciously enough, seemed equally happy with ME pulling the sled. Hmmm.....

1 comment:

Jessica Baird said...

Super cute, Your kids are so cute and I love that your dad gave them goat rides, I can understand why they are still talking about their trip and wanting to go back.